Sunday, November 6, 2011

I can't write That!!!

Greetings once again!  Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  Let's see if we can get back on a roll.

Writing things down is not only time consuming, after all, who wants to spend time writing or typing their thoughts as opposed to just thinking them, it is also difficult.  We struggle to express what we are thinking or feeling in words.  Writing is a discipline, it takes time and commitment.  We really need to write for ourselves, so we have a barometer or gauge on our growth. 

I was discussing with a friend, the struggles and trials of life.  He listened patiently and afterwards offered some friendly advise.  "Are you journaling"?  Three simple words that cut me to the core.  I have offered that advice to others who are growing in their faith.  Why had I not heeded that advice myself?  Because, it takes time and effort.  It is a commitment.  So I have challenged myself (actually my friend challenged me).  I will start writing a journal (not typing in a blog only) and share that with him next time I have breakfast with him. 

So now, what to write about.  I could complain, write out the frustrations of life.  Or, I could write inspiring words to help others through the troubles I've seen.  Or, I could write funny snipets of life from a sarcastic point of view.  Instead, I find that I sit staring at a blank page, wondering what impact I can have.

Many of us claim, I cannot write.  I am not good with the pen.  I'll bet Shakespeare's first work left something to be desired.  It takes time.  Think of anything you are good at, were you naturally good at first or did it take time and practice?  Writing is truly a worthwhile endeavor. 

So, armed with that little tidbit of knowledge, lets begin.  Paper is relatively cheap.  Ink, well you can buy 5 pens for under $1.  Time....that is another matter.  I'll bet you spend 5 minutes watching TV.  I do.  Challenge yourself to write for 5 minutes before the TV goes on.  You are not missing anything.  Solomon once said that there is nothing new under the sun.  That is especially true for TV. 

One last thing....you cannot cry about writers cramp or sore fingers until you have written for a while.  Got to build up those callouses.

No comments:

Post a Comment